Jokhang Monastery, the spiritual center of Tibe, is a must-see attraction which you could not miss during the Tibet trip. Bakhor Street, close to the Jokhang Monastery, is the oldest street in a very traditional city of Tibet.
Generally, these two places are visited together. So how to visit Jokhang Monastery and Barkhor Street will be a necessary thing to know. Here I list some tips for visit these two places.
1) Sightseeing time: the visiting time inside Jokhang Monastery is within 1 hour.
08:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Tour groups less than 10 people are allowed to visit, more than 10 people are forbidden
11:30 a.m. - 17:30 a.m. Open to all visitors and tour groups
2) Monks debating performance will be held in the afternoon on the platform of 2nd floor.
3) Visiting monastery in clockwise direction
4) The platform on the 2nd floor can offer a view to Potala Palace.
5) Generally, it’s forbidden to take photos inside the monastery. You can pay CNY 90 for getting a photoing permit if you want to take photos there.
► Safety Tips
1) Be caution to give money to beggars in Jokhang Monastery. Unless you have enough change to send to each of them or you just don’t give any one of them from the beginning.
2) Respect the local customs when visiting the Jokhang Monastery.
► Sightseeing time: depending on your own
► Visit direction: clockwise direction
► Safety Tips
!) Theft: Be careful for your belongs, especially important or valuable things when you visit Barkhor Street. There are many thefts there.
2) Get lost: Don’t stroll Barkhor Street too late. Because since 6:00 pm.m, the street becomes a market so it will be crowded. And also, the lanes and alleys there will make you get lost at night.
► Bargain Tips
1) Don’t buy things immediately when you see it. Walk for at less 3 stores to compare with the prices of the same things.
2) When bargain, you can charge a lower price with the shopper. But if the shopper agree your quotation, you need to buy it firmly.
3) Prepare enough change or the shopper will tell you he/she could not get change to you so ask you to buy more things.
4) Don’t agree people who talk to be a friend with you and ask you to visit his/her home.