Mount Gongga (Minya Konka) is located in the southern part of Kangding in Sichuan. Mount Gongga is the main range of the snow mountain in Sichuan region. With a title of the King of Mountains in Sichuan, the main peak of Mount Gongga is in a height of 7,556 meters above the sea level. Mount Gongga is the easternmost 7000 m peak in the world and the third highest peak outside of the Himalaya/Karakoram.
About the name Gongga
Located in the eastern edge of Qinghai-Tibet Plateau, Mount Gongga is in the part of Hengduan Mountain Range. In Tibetan language, “Gong” means ice and snow, “Ga” means white color ice mountin, so Gongga means white ice and snow mountain.
Mount Gongga for Climbers
Mount Gongga is one of the most popular destinations for international mountaineers. It is famous for its high climbing level. More dangerous and adventurous than climbing the Mout Everest, Mount Gongga now just have been conquered by 24 people.
Climate of Mount Gongga
• Mount Gongga is in temperature zone plateau climate.
• Rainy season: June – November
• Dry season: November – May
• Most rainy months: July, August, September
• Hottest month:July
• Big temperature difference in summer season: in the mountain with 5,000 meter above sea level, day time is in 0℃, while night time is under -10℃
• Most fine days are in dry season: during dry season, the weather will be wilder than other areas in the same latitude.
Best time to Visit Mount Gongga
The best time to climb Mount Gongga is the period between the rainy season and dry season, that is to say, in late May to early Jun and in mid-Nov.