What are the Regulations on the Protection of the Great Wall?
As one of the greatest architecture and defense system on earth, the Great Wall of China receives more and more tourists from both domestic and aboard every year. Literally millions of tourists both domestic and foreign, visit the wall every year.
However, unlike other culture relics, the Great Wall is hard to protect since it cannot be well-preserved in museums. Nature weathering and Human activities influences the Great Wall. Nature influence is something that one cannot avoid, but we can help to control human bad behavior.
The regulation now has well regulated the behavior of visitors and local people of the Great Wall. When visiting the Great Wall, tourists should observe their obligations to protect it. There are 31 articles in the regulation about every uncivil behaviors tourists and local people many conduct on the wall.
Protecting the Great wall - Things you can’t do on the Great Wall
For protecting the Great Wall, in Sep. of 2006,《Regulations on the protection of the Great Wall》 in China had been released and activated since 1st December in 2006. Chinese State Council promulgated the Regulation on Protection of Great Wall. The Great Wall came to its new page since then. The Regulation regulates people’s behavior to the Great Wall. It brings hopes for the wall to survive. All Chinese people and oversea friends must work together to protect the Great Wall, handing on the brilliant history generation by generation. In this article we will introduce you some of the main terms and do’s & don’ts you need to take notice of when you are visiting or walking or climbing the Great Wall.
1. Taking bricks from the Great Wall for souvenirs or back to one’s own house building is forbidden;
2. Taking rammed earth from the Great Wall for planting in one’s own yards is forbidden;
3. Graffiti and littering are not allowed on the Great Wall;
4. Taking inscriptions or sculptures from the great wall to sell on black market for individual benefits purpose is restrictively forbidden;
5. Building up wires, pillars, telegraph poles and any other facilities that is not registered nor functioning as protecting the Great Wall is forbidden;
6. Driving any type of vehicles crossing the Great Wall is forbidden;
7. Display any tools or objects that may lead to the Great Wall’s damage is not allowed;
8. Organizing activities around the Great Wall areas where are not yet allowed to open to public tourists according to the State Council is forbidden;
9. Any other negative behavior that may lead to damage of the great wall and its relevant culture relics;
10. For any tour cooperation or developers shall arrange tour sight-seeing within certain sections of the Great Wall which has proofed to be safe to conduct tours;
11. Tourists reception of the public great wall should not exceed the maximum tourists capacity ;
12. Tour developers should protect the great wall when they are maintaining their business to public;
13. For any great wall protection, rebuild new walls on histories relics of the ancient Great Wall is restrictively forbidden;
14. Any building programmers such as train tracks, bridges shall make a way for the Great Wall relics, and building new structures within great wall area is forbidden.
In an additional more basic and easy to understand article these other behaviors on the Wall are not allowed, details as follows: Prohibited behaviour:
1. Take away bricks, earth, plant crops and stones.
2. Graffiti and Vandalism
3. Span or fix any fixtures, equipment, or establishment irrelevant to the Great Wall protection.
4. Span or drive over the wall using any vehicle.
5. Carry any items that may destroy the Great Wall.
6. Organize activities on the sections of the Great Wall that have not been developed into tourist areas.
7. Any other activities that are forbidden by laws and regulations on protection of cultural relics.
Of the above 7 behaviors, those who practice behaviors as the items 3, 4, 5, will be warned by local cultural relic operating administration. If the case is serious, individuals will be fined 10,000RMB-50,000RMB and 50,000RMB-500,000RMB for units. The penalty is also applicable to local tourism areas, if these areas receive more tourists than the capability of Great Wall sections. For the people who practice behaviors as the items 1and 6, they will be also warned by local cultural relic operating administration. In serious circumstances, indivudiuals will get the penalty of 1,000RMB-5,000RMB, and units will be fined 10,000RMB-50,000RMB.
The Regulation regulates people’s behavior to the Great Wall. It brings hopes for the wall to survive. All Chinese people and oversea friends must work together to protect the Great Wall, handing on the brilliant history generation by generation.
Anyone caused the damage shall deal with the relevant financial fines on one’s own cost. For anyone organizations build or install illegal facilities or equipment on the Great Wall shall face deal with the cost of all damage caused by its facilities.
For any building organizations or programmers pull down great wall sections, damaging great wall during its building progress or rebuilding new structures on great wall relics without any approve from relevant government bureau shall face fine between 50,000 to 500,000CNY and make up to the other cost in the further repairing of the great wall caused by its actions or even have its license cancelled.