Today, the high-speed train is the most popular and the most convenient means of transport for people’s travel in China. So many wonder how about the regulation of travellers’s luggage on the train in China? How about the weight of traveller’s baggage when taking train in China? Here we list some official regulation of China Railway Ministry for your reference:
Regulated weight of baggage on the train:
The China Ministry of Railways stipulates that the weight of hand luggage you carry onto the train is limited to a maximum of 20 KG (44 pounds); other baggage can be checked onto the train and the related formalities should be transacted at the railway station before your departure.
For children who are with free ticket (height under 1.1 meters), a maximum weight of the luggage is 10 KG (22 pounds).
For diplomat with official identification of document can carry a luggage with the maximum weight of 35KG (77 poumds)
For a disabled passenger, the folding wheelchair can be free to carry and the weight of wheelchair will not be calculated.
Regulation size of the baggage on the train
It is better to ensure your hand-carrying baggage within the dimensions of 60 x 35 x 35 cm.
In practice, the station staff will not measure your baggage precisely, unless it is obviously oversized or overweight. However, it is better to travel lightly and keep your baggage within the limits, as the baggage space on the train is limited and you may need to share it with other passengers.
The Articles Are Prohibited or Restricted to be Taken on Train
►Prohibited items: These are items that are absolutely forbidden on the train or in the station.
- Sharp or dangerous items, such as knives, guns, scissors, axes, etc.
- Explosives, such as bombs, grenades, fireworks, alcohol, etc.
- Flammable items, such as gasoline, oil paint, etc.
- Toxic, radioactive, or corrosive items, such as pesticides, mercury, etc.
- Live animals (except guide dogs) or smelly items
- Strong magnetic items that may interfere with the train’s signal
►Restricted items: These are items that are allowed on the train or in the station with some limitations.
1. Alcoholic Beverages:
- The packing is sealed and marked clearly;
- 24%≤ alcohol concentration ≤70%;
- The cumulative carrying capacity cannot exceed 3000 ml.
2. Perfumes, colognes, sprays, gels, and other daily necessities that contain flammable ingredients in non-self-spraying pressure containers:
- The volume of the single container does not exceed 100 ml;
- Limited to 1 piece of each type.
3. Nail polish and nail polish remover does not exceed 50 ml.
4. Cold perm solution, hair dye, mousse, hairspray, insecticide, air freshener, and other self-spraying pressure containers:
- The volume of the single container does not exceed 150 ml;
- Limited to 1 piece of each type;
- No more than 600 ml accumulated.
5. Two small boxes of safety matches; two ordinary lighters
6. Power bank/lithium battery:
- With clearly labeled;
- The rated energy of a single block does not exceed 100wh (about 20000 mAH), except for electric wheelchairs containing lithium batteries.
Tips for taking baggage on the train
► Because of the limited baggage space in the train, it is better to pack a small baggage as possible as you can so that you can have a comparative convenient train tour in China.
► If your luggage is over-weight or over-length, you have to have your large luggage be checked and transferred by freight, and pick up it when you arrive at your destination.
►For high-speed trains (C, D, and G trains), there are luggage racks over the seats on each side of the coach. They can hold suitcases as big as 24 inches. There are also closets for big baggage at the connection of two coaches or behind the last row of seats.
►The small table in front of the seat can be used to place small backpacks, water glasses, mobile phones and other personal items. Due to the small table bearing capacity is limited, so heavy items cannot be placed on the small table.
Checked baggage refers to the luggage that you can consign to a rail freight car and collect at your destination station. This service is available for passengers who have excess baggage that exceeds the carry-on limits or who want to travel without carrying heavy luggage. However, not all trains or stations offer this service, so you should check in advance if it is available for your route.