People who can’t enjoy Hong Kong free visa policy
should apply for a visa to enter or stay in Hong Kong, no matter with purpose of working, studying, establishing, business or resident. All nationalities that need a visa or entry permit for tourism must get one from a Chinese embassy or consulate prior to traveling. The Hong Kong Immigration Authority's website has full explanation of who needs a visa.
HK Visa Application Procedure
The application procedure of Hong Kong visa
is almost the same with that of Chinese mainland visa.
- Submit a completed application form with the required documents to the overseas Chinese embassy or consulate or directly submit the application documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department for approval, either by post or by a local sponsor.
- Foreign passport holders living in mainland China can apply HK visa/Entry at the Beijing office of Immigration Division of HKSAR.
- The HK visa application form can be obtained from both the Hong Kong Immigration Department website or in the Chinese consulate or embassy.
♦ The contact information of Hong Kong Immigration Department
Address: Receipt and Dispatch Unit, Immigration Department, 2/F, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2824 6111
Fax: (852) 2877 7711
♦ The contact information of Beijing office of Immigration Division of HKSAR
Address: No. 71, Di'anmen Xidajie, Xicheng District Beijing
Zip code: 100009
Tel: (8610) 6657 2880
Fax: (8610) 6657 2821
Ensure you provide your valid passport, an up-to-date photo (It is better the visa photo is the same with the passport one), a completed application form, photocopies of your travel document, financial status, and other supporting documents in accordance with the request of visa type your apply for.
Basically, the processing time of Hong Kong visa application is the same, which normally takes four weeks upon receipt of all the required documents and supporting documents. However, the processing time vary in accordance with the visa type. Different type of visa has its own regulations and its supporting documents are also different.
Frequent Asked Questions about Hong Kong Visa:
Should I Apply for Hong Kong Visa If I’ve already Obtained China Visa?
Because the visa system in Hong Kong is different from that of China mainland, tourists who want to enter Hong Kong as for an extension trip might need to apply for a visa according to the regulation of Hong Kong visa system, even if you’ve got China visa.
Generally, if you enter into Hong Kong from the China mainland and return, a valid entry on your Chinese visa should be carried by you, or you can apply a new visa in Hong Kong (and although it is normally granted, it is not a 100% certainty).
And visitor stayed in Hong Kong within 14 days to 90 days, depending on which passport you are holding, is allowed without a visa. But sufficient funds are one of the pre-conditions because Hong Kong Government will not allow any visitors to look for a job here even without paid.
Hong Kong Visa Exemption
Not all the people who travel to Hong Kong need to get a tourist visa. Visitors who get the following documents can enter into it without visas:
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Passport
- British National (Overseas) Passport
- Hong Kong Certificate of Identity
- Hong Kong Re-entry Permit (for entry from the Mainland of China and the Macao Special Administrative Region only)
- Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card
- Hong Kong Seaman's Identity Book
- Any travel documents bearing one of the following endorsements: "Holder's eligibility for Hong Kong permanent identity card verified" or "The holder of this travel document has the right to land in Hong Kong.
Information about people who should apply for a Hong Kong visa can be found in the Hong Kong Immigration Authority’s website.