Tropical Rainforest of Xishuangbanna Nature Reserve
is located in Jinghong, Mengla, Menghai 3 counties of Xishuangbanna
in southern Yunnan province
, is the most intact tropical rainforest in the high latitudes and high altitude areas in our country.
Xishuangbanna primitive forest park provides a unique primeval forest natural scenery and charming ethnic customs. In the park there are the best preserved tropical rainforest valleys of south of the tropic of cancer, the peacock breeding base, the monkey domestication base, large ethnic customs performance field, Aini ethnic stockaded village, Jiulong waterfall, Manshuanglong pagoda, hundreds of meters of granite relief, golden lake legend, ethnic flavor barbecue field and so on for more than 50 scenic area attractions, highlights the “virgin forests, wildlife and folk customs” three big theme characteristics. Chinese National Geography
magazine rewarded it as one of China's top ten most beautiful forests.
Xishuangbanna tropical northern is located in the edge of the northern place of south of the tropic of cancer, belong to the tropical monsoon climate, warm and sunny all the year round, humid and rainy, it is the only oasis desert on the tropic of cancer on the earth, is China's most complete, most typical and the largest tropical rain forest ecosystem, also is the scarce gene pool of rare plants and animals on earth today where is known as a natural wonders on the earth. Five thousands of many kinds tropical plants and animals in Xishuangbanna existing in the nearly two square kilometers of land, which is breathtaking.
Main Gardens of the Xishuangbanna Natural Reserve
The main sites in Xishuangbanna Nature Reserve are:
- Rainforest Section: The area of tropical rain forest area is about 80 hectares, which is used for the relocation and local protection of plants in Xishuangbanna and its surrounding areas. More than 2000 species of seed plants are preserved here, of which more than 100 species are rare and endangered.
- Celebrities’ Planted Tree Section: This garden was established in 1999, covering an area of 55 hectares. 275 species of tropical plants live here. The former president of China Mr. Jiang Zemin, Prince Philip of the World Wildlife Fund, the prince of the Japanese and many other celebrities had planted trees here.
- Hundred Bamboo Section: This garden was built in 1965, covering an area of 104 hectares, it has more than 250 species of bamboo in here.
- National Plants Section:The national tree state garden was established in 1999 and is divided into six regions in Asia, South America, North America, Oceania, Africa and Europe, according to the six continents of the world. Covering a total area of 20 hectares, the collection shows 58 species of national trees suitable for local growth in 80 countries. Such as Burma national flower - Dragon Boat flower, Laos national flower - egg flower, Libya national flower - pomegranate flower, Madagascar national flower - Phoenix wood, Belgium national flower - Rhododendron, etc.
- Green Stone Forest Endangered Animals and Plants Natural Reserve: This scenic area is the original habitat of a variety of rare and endangered animals, such as the horns, macaque, monkey, gibbon and so on. It also has abundant tropical orchid plant resources. It is a demonstration base for the return and comprehensive protection of these rare and endangered animals and plants.
Wild Spicy Plants Section, King of Flowers, Wild ginger plants section, “One tree forest”, “hanging garden” and so on. Graceful peacock are beautiful picture scroll created by nature elaborately in Xishuangbanna, where can fully enjoy the tropical flavor without going out of China. “One tree forest”, “the king of flowers”, “hanging garden”, graceful peacock are beautiful picture scroll created by nature elaborately in Xishuangbanna, where can fully enjoy the tropical flavor without going out of China.
If wandering in Xishuangbanna Dai ethnic villages, besides the characteristics of folk customs, tourist can also feel the characteristic of lush and green. Among them, the wild elephant valley, parashorea cathayensis, primeval forest park is renowned ecotourism scenic spot in China. In the same latitudes land with Xishuangbanna in the world, basically is dominated by savanna and desert, forming a “the tropical of cancer desert". And the oasis in Xishuangbanna is like a shining emerald inlaid on the “the tropical of cancer desert".
How to Get
1. Taking bus from Jinghong to Mengyang or the taking original forest park dedicated shuttle for visitors to get there.
2. The west side of Jinghong is long-distance bus terminal, there is shuttle bus to reach the forest park for tourists.The fare is 3 Yuan.
Best Time to Go & Tips
October to June in the following year is the best time to go. Spring, autumn and winter is appropriate, because here is “a warm land without winter”. The summer heat in Xishuangbanna is intolerability with much rain.
1. Pay attention to choose to the forest park which has reception capacity as the main destination. This kind of forest park has a relatively perfect infrastructure and reception service facilities.
2. Tourist must pay attention to find out the best tourist season. Generally speaking, the north forest park of spring, summer, autumn have obvious landscape features. Especially local Mountaineering Festival, before and after the festival is the best tourist season.
3. Pay attention to go as groups of people like family group, friends group. Earlier developed forest park will have more visitors; other forest park’s visitors are relatively less, single travel has a lot of convenience, and unsafe factors.
4. Be carefully to choose route. Walking along the forest park marked tour road or follow the guide, not to deviate from the main road.
5. Prepared scientific and resonable arrangement of tour and accomondation time; try to go to the fixed accommodation reception site before sunset.
6. Pay attention to prevent mosquito bites and prevent poisonous snakes, beast attacks.
7. Pay attention to the wearing. Chose non-slip shoes, closed fitted clothes, don't wear bare clothing, avoid slipping and branches hanging.
8. Pay attention to carry the necessary food, drink; don't gather the food freely in case of preventing poisoning accidents.
9. Pay attention to carry communication tool or simple alarm equipment like flashlight, whistle, horn, etc., taking emergency medicine.
10. Pay attention to the forest park visiting rules, don't hunt and make fire freely in the abandoned field, throwing garbage, etc.