Most Famous Palaces in China
Located in the very heart of Beijing, magnificent Forbidden City, also known as Imperial Palace Museum, is the symbol of imperial power. Built in Yongle Period, Ming Dynasty (1406 - 1420 AD), it is the largest and well-preserved wooden building complex of the world. These were laid out very precisely in accordance with a feudal code of architectural hierarchy which designated specific features for reflecting the paramount authority and status of the emperor.
Forbidden City can be taken as a sample of the traditional Chinese palatial architecture. In 1987, it became a World Heritage Site. Besides, it is also listed by UNESCO as the largest collection of preserved ancient wooden structures in the world.
Recommended Tour: 5 Days Beijing Experience Tour
Originally built by King Songtsen Gampo in the seventh century, the awe-inspiring Potala Palace, perched high above much of Lhasa, is the landmark of the city.
Built against the Red Hill, Potala Palace is a spectacular castle-like building complex of Lhasa, which is used to be the unification centre of political and religious of Tibet. Covered an area of over 360, 000 square meters, it is a great palace of art with creative designing and gorgeous decoration. Its conservative religious atmosphere, precious scriptures, murals, jewels and antiques housed inside, earning it a place on UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site list.
Recommended Tour: 4 Days Lhasa Highlight Tour
The Imperial Mountain Resort
Situated in the city of Chengde in northeastern Hebei Province, The Imperial Mountain Resort is the most famous summer resort of emperors of Qing Dynasty. With easy access to Beijing (200 km), it is entitled “the back yard garden of Beijing”.
Enjoys superb natural environment, this summer resort was served as the second political center of the Qing imperial court. And nearly every summer, the emperors of early Qing Dynasty would come here to spend their summer time, hunting or boating.
It is the largest existing imperial garden in China, which covers an area of 5.64 million square meters, double the Summer Palace, and eight times that of Beihai Park in Beijing. The 10-km-long wall around it winds its way through plains and high mountains like the Great Wall.
Recommended Tour: 6 Days Beijing & Chengde Tour
Shenyang Imperial Palace
Shenyang Imperial Palace, which is also known as Mukden Palace, is located in center of the city Shenyang. Covered an area of more than 60,000 square meters, it is one of the exciting best-preserved imperial Palace-like constructions, only after the Forbidden City in Beijing.
The whole structure has over 90 buildings and 300 rooms. It was first built in 1625 during the late Ming Dynasty, lasted for 12 years, the grand project was completed in 1637, in the early Qing Dynasty. The Palace was built to resemble the Forbidden City in Beijing. However, the palace also exhibits hints of Manchurian and Tibetan styles.
During the Ming Dynasty, it was the gorges imperial palace and the official residence of the Emperor. However, after the Qing Dynasty replaced the Ming Dynasty in 1644 in Beijing, this palace lost its status and became a regional palace.
Located in central Qufu City, Shandong Province, Confucian Temple is one of the 3 great palace-style constructions in China. Originally built as early as in 478BC, it is a memorable place to worship the great philosopher Confucius. There is a statue of Confucius, 13 stele pavilions, 53 huge steles and 120 "Shengjitu", on which records Confucius' life experience.
It is a must-visit attraction of the city and holds an important position even in the world. As the second largest ancient building complex that only after the Forbidden City, it covers an area of 50 acres.
It contains over 460 halls, altars, towers and pavilions, 54 archways and 13 steles bearing calligraphy by various emperors. Apart from the royal steles, the temple also boasts a variety of others, especially those made in the Han Dynasty.
Recommended Tour: 4 Days Jinan and Qufu Essence Tour
- Three Gorges Dam: The Biggest Dam in the World
- Qinghai-Tibet Plateau: the highest plateau in the world
- Top 4 Natural Wonders of China
- 7 Wonders of China
- The Largest Desert in China
- The Largest and Deepest Canyon in China
- The Longest Canal in China
- The Most Famous Chinese Silk Towns
- The Most Famous Chinese Jade Origins
- The Most Famous China Pearl Origins
- Top 10 Famous Gardens in China
- Four Great Ancient Chinese Towers
- Great Ancient Bridges in China
- Most Famous Dinosaur Fossil Locations in China
- Top Ski Resorts in China
- Top 5 Most Primitive Canyons in China
- Top 5 Most Beautiful Deserts in China
- Special Economic Zones of China
- Top 10 Universities in China
- World Heritage Sites in China
- Most Famous Museums in China
- Most Famous Panda Reserves in China
- The Most Famous Nature Reserves in China
- The Highest Cities in China
- Famous Buildings in China
- Famous Landmarks in China
- Top 10 Largest Cities in China
- Top 10 Biggest Provinces in China
- Most Famous Cities in China
- The Highest Lakes in China
- Minority Autonomous Regions in China
- The Most Famous Waterfalls in China
- The Longest Bridges in China
- The Largest Lakes in China
- The Largest Islands in China