Xinjiang Festivals & Events
- Ethnic group: KazakPlace: Nowruz City in XinjiangDate:around March 22Activities: Nowruz Festival is regarded as the New Year of the Kazak people. On that day, people pay New Year's visits to each other and hold various activities to welcome the New Year.
- Ethnic group: Hui, Uygur, Kazak, Ozbek, Tajik, Tatar, Kirgiz, Salar, Dongxiang, BonanPlace: Ethnic Groups Habitats in XinjiangDate: Every December 10thActivities: Corban Festival, also called the Sacrifice Festival, is a very traditional festival that held by Muslims. It is a ceremony rather than a festival because the word “corban” means sacrifice and self-devotion in Arabic.
- Ethnic group: TajikPlace: Tajik Minority’ HabitatDate: The first two days of August according to Islamic calendarActivities: Baroti Festival, also called the Lantern Festival, is a traditional religious festival of the Tajik People.
Ethnic group: UygurPlace: Turpan, Xinjiang Uighur Autonomous RegionDate:April 20-26 every yearActivities: Due to the international fame of the Turpan Grape, the Xinjiang Grape Festival which is held in Turpan every year welcomes locals as well as international friends to celebrate together.
- Ethnic Group: TatarPlace: Tacheng District, Yili District, Urumqi DistrictDate: The last ten days of June annuallyActivities: Saban Festival, also called the Plowshare Festival, is held to celebrate the accomplishment of spring plowing and pray for an abundant harvest in the autumn.
- Ethnic group: MongolPlace: Mongols Habitats in XinjiangDate: During the July and August, summer-autumn intervalActivities: Nadam Festival is a ten-day traditional for the Mongols as a carnival. The word “nadam” in Mongolian means “amusement and entertainment, or game”, so the goal to hold this festival just for fun.
- Ethnic group: Hui, Uygur, Kazak, Ozbek, Tajik, Tatar, Kirgiz, Salar, Dongxiang, BonanPlace: Ethnic Groups Habitats in XinjiangDate: Every September, at the end of RamadanActivities: As one of the most important festivals in Islamic culture, Fast-Breaking Festival lasts three days for the ethnic groups to celebrate.